Monday, July 17, 2017

Innocent Love

Photo copyright Jill Atkinson, 2017
I remember innocent love,
the kind that had no questions.

Love that shone in our faces,
put the light of life in our eyes.

I remember being happy
over ice cream and a new toy.

When friendship came easy,
and trust was freely given.

I remember summer nights,
warm breezes, firefly chases.

Hot days of roaming the woods
looking for poor kid adventures.

I remember when smiles were genuine,
and lies were a terrible sin to commit.

And many days of holding hands
giving big hugs and doing small favors.

I remember innocent love
when I see my granddaughter smile.

When I hear her laughter
and watch her play.

I remember hope when
she says she loves me, too.

The unmitigated truth in her face
lightens my heavy old soul.


© Francisco G. Rodriquez, 2017

No comments: